Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vegan Pot Pie

I feel so terrible for not posting very often. I hope I am forgiven.

Dinner tonight was amazing!!!! The best part is I get the leftovers!!!! Gabe's work is providing lunch for them tomorrow so I get it all! Not that there is much left, but enough to make me happy.

Vegan Pot Pie
I used bits and pieces from this recipe.

Crust

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup white flour
4 tbsp shortening
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary and thyme mixture

In bowl combine both flours, salt, and seasonings. Then cut in shortening. Once no large lumps remain add in just enough water to mix. When it comes together separate into two balls then wrap in plastic and set in fridge.



Filling

2 potatoes, diced
2 large carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup broccoli, diced
1/4 cup onion, minced
Best life Butter
1 1/2 cups Almond Milk
Corn starch

Once all of your vegetables are chopped and minced. Add butter to a large pot, about 2 tbsp. Melt then add garlic and onion. Saute for a few minutes then add potatoes, carrots and broccoli. Saute for a few more minutes. Add almond milk and bring to a boil.




While you wait pull out one of the dough balls and roll out to where it can fit in a pie pan with about 1 inch hanging over at least. Lay flat in pie pan. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Once almond milk is boiling add corn starch according to directions. About 2 tbsp worth. Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly, it should thicken up pretty quickly. Once it is thickened fill up pie pan. Then roll out other ball of dough until it is wide enough to fit on top. Then cover pie pan. Then use your fingers to seal all edges, folding over anything that is hanging off. I have ended up with a lot of excess dough so I just have a super thick edge. It is really yummy! Then cut an x in the middle and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. It will begin to boil when it is done.




Then try not to eat it all. This meal is definitely a favorite now! One thing I forgot to add was seasonings so I need to work on that for next time!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so not a fan of pot pie... but this looks delicious! I love your recipes Krista. They're so simple, yet the results look like they came from a restaurant. Sometimes recipes scare me away because they seem to complicated or the ingredients are hard to find. Yet your recipes reel me in! Can't wait to try this out.

    BTW, good luck at the Farmer's Market. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete