Monday, March 21, 2011

Whatcha ma call it

Now this meal isn't vegan. It is vegetarian though. (Side track- I have an obsession with noodles.I could eat noodles for every meal easily!!! And the noodles in this dish are one of my favorites! So chewy, just amazing!)  My Grandma Jo makes a recipe that she calls Chicken and Noodles. It is one of my favorites, mostly because I love the noodles in it. Well when we decided to stop eating meat I was wondering how I was going to eat these yummy noodles still. I just replaced the chicken with vegetables! Easy enough. It cuts the cooking time down drastically also.

I'm not quite sure what to call this recipe (any ideas?!?) So for now it will be...


Noodles, Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes
4 carrots
4 cloves of garlic
8 potatoes
Almond Milk
Butter
16 oz Reames frozen egg noodles
12 oz bag broccoli
4 oz cauliflower
Seasonings
Corn Starch

Fill two pots with water, one for mashed potatoes, the other for the... we'll call it soup. I believe it is about 3 quarts for the soup. I always just estimate it. Put both pots on the stove to boil. Now peel and chop carrots. You can use frozen carrots but I prefer fresh carrots. Once chopped add to soup pot.


Then peel and chop potatoes. You can use as many or as little potatoes as you want, my family loves mashed potatoes, so I use a lot! Once chopped add to boiling water for potatoes. The potatoes should take about 20 minutes. They are done when you can stab them with a fork. Add milk and butter and mash. I never really measure for the milk or butter just add until it is the perfect consistency for you.


Mince the garlic. Again, you can use as much or as little as you want. I once read that in order to get all the benefits of garlic you should let it sit out for 10 minutes before adding it to anything. I try to do that, but don't always have time. Add to soup pot. 


Now it is time to season the soup. You can add whatever you want, I always add different things, but this time I used: Basil, Black Pepper, Ginger, Thyme, Paprika, Rosemary, and Salt.




Once the soup water with garlic, carrots and seasonings is boiling add the noodles. They take about 20 minutes to cook.


When there is about 5-7 minutes left with the noodles add the broccoli and cauliflower. You can add any vegetables you like, we just prefer this combination. Now bring it back to a boil. Once it is back to a boil add corn starch, follow directions on container, usually I only need 1 tbsp of corn starch.


Some days Anika and I have a great day in the kitchen, we laugh and dance and sing. And then we have bad days when she screams half the time. Today, she screamed. I can't wait until the day she is old enough to help me cook and bake.


Once the soup and mashed potatoes are both done its time to eat! We usually place mashed potatoes on the plate first then pile the soup over it. My husband doesn't like his to be soupy so he just puts noodles on his, I like to add a little bit of the broth on mine, makes it tastier. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING!!! I don't cook at all, but you make me feel like I could do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Brittany! And it sure is tasty :)

    ReplyDelete