Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Very Basic Bread

Now this bread is about as basic as it gets. I found it in a recipe book that I unfortunately can't remember the name of right now.

2 cups warm water
1 package instant yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
wheat flour
white flour

As I've said before, I have a bread machine. I only ever use the dough setting on it though. I've had some pretty awful breads come out of it when I tried to bake it in the machine. So this recipe is done using the dough setting on a bread machine.

First add the 2 cups of warm water. Then add yeast, salt and sugar. Now comes the flour.



You can do whatever combination of wheat and white flour you want. My husband has an intolerance to wheat and I know the right combination for him to where it won't hurt his stomach. I add 2 cups of wheat flour and 1 cup of white flour. Now hit start.



It should begin stirring. I always leave it open. I sit there with a rubber spatula and scrape the flour away from the edges, when it is mostly stirred I add more flour.



I have never actually measured the flour with this recipe. My grandma has always made all of their bread from scratch. So a lot of the things I know about bread are from her. Well she taught me to just add flour until its not sticky anymore. You don't want it to be dry though. I guess a way to explain it is that it shouldn't stay on your finger when you touch it. So add the rest of your flour a little bit at a time until its perfect.



And then let it finish the dough cycle on the bread machine. Once its done grease two loaf pans. I use best life butter (its dairy free).



When I first started making bread I would pull it out separate it into two halves, roll it out and fold it like an envelope, then one day I got lazy and decided to just shape the loaves with my hands and they look just as good! So shape the loaves with whatever method you want.



Sprinkle with water, cut a slit on the top of it, cover pans with a cloth and let rise for about 1.5 hours.



Once it has risen set it in the oven at 400 degrees, no need to preheat the oven for this recipe.



About every 10 minutes sprinkle with water. My bread usually only takes about 30 minutes to bake but the recipe originally said 45 minutes so I'm sure it just varies with your oven. When the bread is brown on top its time to take it out.


 I personally like my bread to by shiny on top so I use a pastry brush to spread a little butter on top.



Now let it cool for as long as you can possibly stand it and then cut it open and eat a slice. We usually last about 20 minutes before cutting it. I don't care if I'm not hungry, I can't pass on freshly made bread.







I love this bread so much I haven't even tried to make any other type of bread for sandwiches.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of yeast do you use? I think I have instant dry yeast in my fridge...

    Also, do you need to have the combination of wheat and white flour or can it be all one or the other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yeast I have is fast rise yeast, which I think instant yeast would be the same. And it doesn't have to be a combination, it can be one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby and I are trying this for the first time today:) It looks like a bread machine is much easier than hand mixing and kneading but we had fun doing it together:)

    ReplyDelete