Friday, March 18, 2011

MMmmm... Pizza!

It's what's for dinner. 

Let me start this off by saying I have a terrible fear of bees, wasps, and I guess just all bugs in general. Well, have you ever tried making a pizza with a WASP in the kitchen!!! Its a lot harder than one would think. Well, not that hard. Woman runs out of kitchen, grabs man, tells him situation. Mans walks into kitchen, grabs fly swatter, hits wasp, runs him through garbage disposal. Woman jumps for joy, and continues to bake.


If you read my last post, and I hope you did! You would see that I haven't been able to have milk since Anika was 1 month old. Which meant that I couldn't have pizza. Well a few weeks ago I finally got the courage to try cheese alternative. Its not as scary as I thought it would be, and it tastes very similar to cheese. But, I also haven't had cheese in a while so I could be wrong. It does cost more but very worth it to have on a pizza!

 
Pizza
The dough recipe is from here.
Dough
1 cup flour + ¾ cup flour, divided 
 ¾ tsp salt
1.5 tsp white sugar
 2 tsp pizza herbs (mixture of dried oregano, basil)
 2 & ¼ tsp instant yeast
 3 tbsp oil
 2/3 cup very warm water (not lukewarm)




Sauce

1- 15 oz can tomato sauce
3-4 garlic cloves
1/4 onion 
2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
2 tbsp. olive oil

Since my kitchen aid is in storage, I use a bread machine to make my dough, I guess its kind of the same thing though. 

Combine 1 cup flour, salt, sugar, pizza herbs (if using, I sometimes leave them out) and yeast. Add the water and oil. Once I put flour into a dough I usually just guess for the rest of the dough. The recipe calls for 3/4 cup more, but honestly I have no idea how much more I use. I just add more until its not sticky. Then I let it run through the dough cycle on the bread machine. While it is running, make the sauce.
Mince garlic and onion. Put in sauce pan with olive oil and Italian seasoning to saute. Saute until onion is transparent. Add tomato sauce, simmer for 30 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

When dough is done place on floured surface. Roll out. 

 

Place dough top of a baking sheet that is sprinkled with corn meal.




Bake in the oven without sauce for about 6 minutes. 

Remove from oven add sauce. I only use about half of the sauce recipe and save the rest for more pizza later in the week. 

Add cheese!
Bake for 7-8 more minutes, or until crust is slightly browned. 

And, ENJOY!

What's your favorite pizza topping? Have you ever made a homemade pizza?

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, looks so yummy! I'm too scared to try making pizza dough at home, so I'll just admire yours. I'm sure I would ruin it! :/ I had a really good laugh reading about Gabe running the wasp through the garbage disposal. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of just plain cheese pizza. How long does it take to make from start to finish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinnie- Don't be scared of pizza dough! Its actually really easy!

    Abby- It takes about 1:45 minutes. But most of the time your not really doing anything. It takes about 10 minutes for the dough (if using a bread machine) and maybe 5 minutes for the sauce. Then you wait until the dough is done roll it out, 5 minutes. And then adding the cheese and sauce only takes a minute.

    ReplyDelete