Thursday, March 31, 2011

Black Bean Burgers with homemade buns!

 I can't stop thinking about it. I even have a hard time falling asleep. I am just SO excited to participate in the farmers market this year. I never realized how much planning would go into this. Can you just imagine how stressful it is for those selling produce? I'm just making something in an oven they're growing stuff! Sorry, got off track. This post is about burgers... black bean burgers. The entire time my husband eats these he says "This is by far my favorite meal." Well, the are pretty much amazing.

This meal is quite time consuming. It doesn't have to be but I guess I like when its more difficult. I could easily buy canned beans, shredded carrots, hamburger buns, and french fries. But I like to be difficult.


Black Bean Burgers
1 cup dry black beans
2 carrots
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Soak beans and cook according to package. I usually cook them for about 2.5 hours, the softer the better. Peel carrots, then grate them. Mince garlic and onion. Add cooked beans, carrots, garlic, onion and bread crumbs to bowl. Mash together. I doubled the recipe so we could have leftovers.



Once beans are all mashed form into patties.


Put a little bit of olive oil in a pan. Place patties in pan and brown on both sides.


Hamburger Buns
Adapted from here.

1 cup warm water
1/3 cup oil
2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
about 4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast

Add water, oil, sugar, salt, 2 cups flour, and yeast into bread machine. Then add 1/2 cup of flour at a time until it forms a ball and is only slightly sticky. Once bread machine is done separate dough into 12 balls.   Turn balls in hands folding edge under to make circle. Press flat between hands. Place on greased cookie sheet. Let buns rise for about 30 minutes. I can't ever get them to rise very much so you may not see them rise much. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.






I also like to make french fries with this meal. Peel the russet potatoes, slice into strips. Soak for about 30 minutes. Lay flat on greased cookie sheet, let dry. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.

This is the only picture I took of the fries.

Then enjoy the meal!


4 comments:

  1. Those look amazing. YOU are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you finally made these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even like beans and I want to eat what's in your pictures!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! Abby told me to try them :) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete