Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sweet Potato and Pear soup

My husband, Gabe, and I don't really eat with the seasons. I think last year we ate more soup in the summer and fall then we ever do in the winter. Gabe is sick right now with a cold so he wanted to eat soup for dinner. Last year we made a sweet potato and pear soup for him that he fell in love with! Unfortunately, I haven't made it since, I don't have all the strength that he does to chop sweet potatoes. Who knew that a sweet potato would be so difficult to cut?!?! Not me! When I was done I felt like I needed to ice my hand for an hour.

Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
From Oh She Glows
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 pears, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
5 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup coconut milk (I used almond milk)
2 teaspoons maple syrup, or to taste
2 teaspoons lime juice, or to taste
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


Chop carrots, celery, and onion. Peel and cube sweet potatoes and pears.



In pot, heat margarine on medium heat. Saute carrots, celery, and onion for about 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, pears and thyme and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add paprika and veggie broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.




Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pot. Add almond milk, maple syrup and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.




Season with salt and pepper, adding more syrup or lime juice as needed. Drizzle with maple syrup if preferred. Can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.


The soup tasted great, but I am not a fan of eating pureed food. It just felt weird. Eating this soup and trying to feed it to Anika made me very thankful that we did baby-led weaning with her. We never had to feed her puree's so this was so different to us, and quite frustrating too. Put some in her mouth, her spit half of it out, wipe her face off, repeat.

Next time I make this soup I will make it like I did the first time, we won't puree it.

1 comment:

  1. made this last night - alice wasn't really eating anything so she had a few bites and then spat it out. Then I pureed it and my husband and I had it for dinner. loved it!

    ReplyDelete